Welcome to our Job Postings Center. Here you will find all open potions with the Township of Franklin. To be notified of job opportunities please visit our E-Notification Center.
PLEASE NOTE:WE ARE AWARE OF AN ISSUE SOME USERS MAYBE EXPERIENCING WITH THE ONLINE JOB APPLICATION SYSTEM. IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO COMPLETE AN APPLICATION AND WOULD LIKE ASSISTANCE PLEASE EMAIL HELPDESK@TWP.FRANKLIN.NJ.US AND REPORT YOUR EXACT ISSUE AND THE WEB BROWSER YOU WERE USING AT THE TIME OF THE ISSUE. PLEASE USE THIS EMAIL ONLY FOR TECHNICAL ISSUES WITH THE APPLICATIONS.
Assistant Township Engineer
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$90,000 - $110,000/yr.
- Posted Date:09/21/2017 10:56 AM
- Deadline to Apply:11/03/2017 4:30 PM
Union: AFSCME 2426, Senior Manager
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
This position is responsible for assisting the Township Engineer in performing administrative and advanced professional engineering work in planning, organizing, directing, coordinating, completing, and reviewing the work of the Engineering Department, primarily for the administration of the department’s involvement in the development process. This includes reviewing development proposals and their subsequent construction.
• Works under the direction of the Township Engineer.
• Assists Township Engineer in supervising the Engineering Department.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Supervises and participates in review of residential and commercial development projects to include activity related to the subdivision of real property.
• Makes recommendations concerning conditions of project approval,
• Prepares, processes and reviews documents such as Township Council Agenda statements, and ensures compliance with Township policies, regulations and codes.
• Provides highly technical expertise and advice to other Township departments, groups, task forces, and the public.
• Responds to inquiries regarding engineering policies, procedures and practices.
• Cooperates with municipal officials and civic groups in preparing specifications and plans for long range municipal improvements.
• Assists in the preparation of the annual operating budget.
• Assumes the duties of the Township Engineer in his/her absence.
• Conducts and/or participates in technical training sessions.
• Conducts probationary and annual employee performance evaluations.
• Interacts with and assists other Township departments and represents the Township when dealing with federal, state, county, and local agencies and media regarding Engineering Department operations and issues.
• Serves on various interdepartmental project groups and committees as assigned.
• Performs other related duties as required and/or assigned.
Education and Experience:
• Minimum of seven (7) years increasingly responsible experience in the practice of civil engineering, primarily in the development review and subsequent construction process. This includes a thorough knowledge of the NJ MLUL, NJ RSIS, and NJ Storm Water Regulations.
• Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or a related field.
• Registration as a Professional Engineer in the State of New Jersey.
• Must be proficient in AutoCAD.
• Valid NJ state driver's license required.
• Surveyor’s license desired.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Ability to exercise independent judgement and make on site decisions.
• Ability to work under adverse weather conditions.
• Ability to control contractors working for the Township and Developers.
• Ability to communicate effectively with contractors working for the Township and Developers. Ability to successfully interact with Township residents.
• Ability to assign work and direct subordinates and to work harmoniously with other municipal personnel and with private contractors.
• Ability to read, write, speak and understand English. Ability to understand, remember and carry out verbal and written instructions.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
• Transit, level, ruler, calculator, computer.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and equipment. The employee occasionally must work in extreme cold or heat. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious, and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes and/or airborne particles and toxic chemicals. The employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock.
• The noise level in the work environment is occasionally noisy. The employee will occasionally work at night or in low light situations.
Applications available at the Human Resources Office, 475 DeMott Lane, Somerset, NJ 08873 or on the Township website: www.franklintwpnj.org
THE TOWNSHIP OF FRANKLIN DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, RELIGION, SEX, SEXUAL ORIENTATOIN, AGE OR HANDICAP.
THE TOWNSHIP OF FRANKLIN IS A DRUG FREE WORK PLACE
Effective September 1, 2011, all employees of NJ State, County and Local government must reside in the State of New Jersey unless exempted under law.