Welcome to our Job Postings Center. Here you will find all open potions with the Township of Franklin. To be notified of job opportunities please visit our E-Notification Center.
PLEASE NOTE:WE ARE AWARE OF AN ISSUE SOME USERS MAYBE EXPERIENCING WITH THE ONLINE JOB APPLICATION SYSTEM. IF YOU ARE UNABLE TO COMPLETE AN APPLICATION AND WOULD LIKE ASSISTANCE PLEASE EMAIL HELPDESK@TWP.FRANKLIN.NJ.US AND REPORT YOUR EXACT ISSUE AND THE WEB BROWSER YOU WERE USING AT THE TIME OF THE ISSUE. PLEASE USE THIS EMAIL ONLY FOR TECHNICAL ISSUES WITH THE APPLICATIONS.
- Type:Full Time
- Salary/Pay Rate:$16.21/hr.
- Posted Date:08/07/2018 11:03 AM
Union: CWA 1036
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of personnel so classified.
Performs a variety of skilled and unskilled tasks in the care and maintenance of municipal facilities. These facilities include streets and roads, stormwater, solid waste, buildings and grounds, parks, open space, and water.
Works under the direct supervision of the assigned Foreman and general supervision of the Public Works Manager and/or Assistant Public Works Manager.
None generally. May supervise temporary employees or community service workers.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Performs required labor involved in construction and maintenance projects as part of a crew involving water facilities, roads, stormwater facilities, solid waste, parks, building and grounds, and open space.
• Participates in the Township’s snow removal and ice control program.
• Obtains skills and knowledge in the proper and safe techniques of water, roads, stormwater facilities, solid waste, parks, building and grounds, and open space maintenance functions.
• Inspects and maintains assigned equipment and tools for proper operating condition and refers defects or needed repairs to supervisor and Central Maintenance.
• Insures the proper maintenance of equipment and tools by cleaning and checking equipment and tools after use.
• Operates trucks, pickup trucks, tractors, mowers, jack hammers, and other listed equipment as needed.
• Assists in setting up and taking down equipment for various park and recreation programs, prepares facilities for park and recreation program use.
• Performs inspections of various park equipment and makes or reports required repairs.
• Performs work in the reading and operation of water meters including but not limited to reading meters, inspecting meters and connections for defects, maintaining and repairing meters, replacing meters, and testing meters.
• Responds to work orders for water utility disconnections, reconnections, new orders, and other public works service requests.
• Performs minor semi-skilled interior building maintenance and repairs such as painting, floor covering, plumbing, carpentry, mechanical, and other unskilled and semi skilled trades work.
• Performs custodial work as required and assigned.
• Trash collection within buildings and grounds, parks, open space, and along road frontage.
• Mows and maintains parks, grounds, open space and roadside areas.
• Sweeps, washes, paints, and repairs or replaces park tables and slabs and equipment.
• Opens and closes, locks and unlocks facilities as needed.
• Keeps records of work completed.
• Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
• Serves as a member of various employee committees as assigned.
• Serves as a ground person on the crew as required and assigned.
• Controls traffic at work sites by flagging to guide traffic through work areas, as required or assigned.
• Performs other related duties as assigned or required.
Education and Experience:
A. Graduation from high school or GED equivalent, and
B. Any equivalent combination of education and experience which demonstrates the knowledge and experience to perform the work.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of equipment, facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in maintenance, construction and repair activities;
• Knowledge of equipment, materials and supplies used in building and grounds maintenance; Knowledge of equipment and supplies used to do minor repairs;
• Skill in operation of the listed tools and equipment.
• Knowledge of first aid and applicable safety precautions.
• Ability to perform heavy manual tasks for extended periods of time; Ability to use equipment and tools properly and safely; Ability to work safely.
• Ability to work inclement weather.
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments and the public.
• Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions.
• Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
• Ability to work independently and to complete daily activities according to work schedule.
• Ability to work with hot asphalt.
• Must be available to work during snow/ice events.
• Must possess valid New Jersey Driver's license with CDL Class ‘B’ certification.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED
Dump truck, pickup truck; utility truck, street roller, tamper, plate compactor, saws, pumps, compressors, electric motors, sanders, generators, miscellaneous hand and power tools, shovels, wrenches, portable and/or mobile radio, phone, lawn and landscaping equipment, including tractors, mowers, chain saw, airifier, edgers, weed trimmers, sprinklers, irrigation systems, carpentry, painting, plumbing, electrical, cement finishing work, janitorial equipment including floor buffers, steam cleaners, carpet cleaners, washers, vacuums, mops, brooms, and dusting equipment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stand; walk; and use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls.
• The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and talk or hear.
• The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works near moving mechanical parts and in outside weather conditions.
• The employee frequently works in high, precarious places and is frequently exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, and toxic or caustic chemicals, and vibration. The employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock.
• The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Applications available at the Franklin Township Human Resources Office, 475 DeMott Lane, Somerset, NJ 08873 or on the Township website: www.franklintwpnj.org
THE TOWNSHIP OF FRANKLIN DOES NOT DISCRIMINATE ON THE BASIS OF RACE, COLOR, NATIONAL ORIGIN, RELIGION, GENDER, GENDER IDENTITY, SEXUAL ORIENTATION, SEXUAL PREFERENCE, AGE OR HANDICAP. THE TOWNSHIP OF FRANKLIN IS A DRUG FREE WORK PLACE.
Effective September 1, 2011, all employees of NJ State, County and Local government must reside in the State of New Jersey unless exempted under law.