Congratulations on taking your first step towards a career in law enforcement and thank you for your interest in the Franklin Township Police Department. The entry exam is being administered by the New Jersey State Association of Chiefs of Police.
The date, time and location of the exam are as follows:
Date – Saturday, September 15, 2018
Registration – 9:00 AM
Exam Start Time – Promptly at 10:00 AM
Location – Franklin Township Community Center
505 DeMott Lane
Somerset, NJ 08873
Officers will be positioned though out the complex directing you where to park. To be given access to the testing center, you must present a valid driver’s license when you check in. NO EXCEPTIONS WILL BE MADE. Additionally, no electronic devices will be allowed in the testing center during the exam.
Again, I would like to thank you for your interest in the Franklin Township Police Department. If you have any additional questions about the exam, don’t hesitate to contact Lt. Philip Rizzo at email@example.com.
See you on test day!
Richard A. Grammar
Chief of Police
Qualification requirements to apply for the Franklin Township Police written exam:
Eligibility Requirements per FTPD General Order – 2009-20 Recruitment and Selection:
In order for a candidate to be considered for employment as a full time police officer, applicants must meet the following eligibility requirements in addition to Chapter 50 of the Franklin Township Municipal Code:
- Minimum 21 years of age. (At time of appointment)
- Education (one of the following)
- An applicant must have a bachelor’s degree, signifying completion of the undergraduate curriculum and graduation from an accredited college or university. To meet the bachelor degree requirement, an applicant must have completed all academic, financial, and administrative obligations to be conferred a bachelor’s degree by the deadline listed above.
- An applicant must have an associate's degree or 60 college credits from an accredited college or university PLUS at least 24 months of satisfactory employment or military experience. Work experience must equate to 104 weeks of employment, including military experience, with a minimum of 20 hours of work per week. The 104 weeks are not required to be consecutive.
- An applicant must have 30 college credits from an accredited college or university PLUS at least 24 months of active duty military service with an “Honorable Discharge”.
- United States citizen
- Be of mental and bodily health sufficient to satisfy the Board of Trustees of the Police and Firemen’s Retirement System of New Jersey that he would be eligible for membership in the retirement system.
- Able to read, write and speak the English language well and intelligently.
- Of good moral character and free from conviction of any crime constituting an indictable offense, domestic violence or any crime or offense involving moral turpitude.
- Able to pass such written, oral, physical and psychological examinations as may be approved by the Township manager and meet essential job performance requirements.
- Possess a valid New Jersey driver’s license.
- Minimum of 20/30 vision in each eye corrected.
- Otherwise meets all the requirements of N.J.S. 40A:14-122 to N.J.S. 40A:14-127.