Franklin Township Police Department
Public Safety Building
Traffic Safety - Pedestrian Safety
Let's prevent traffic accidents involving children by teaching them good pedestrian safety habits. Go over these tips with your children and then take them for a walk to make sure they practice what they have learned.
- Cross at intersections only. The intersection is where drivers expect to see you.
- Never cross from in-between parked cars. Many children are killed or injured in non-intersection accidents when they run into the roadway from between parked cars.
- Before crossing, look left, right and left again. And always listen for oncoming traffic.
- Make sure you can be seen at night. Wear white or light colored clothing when walking at night. Attach reflective materials to coats and shoes or wear reflective armbands.
- In areas with no sidewalk, walk as far off the roadway as possible. Remember to walk on the left side of the road, facing traffic.
- Obey all traffic signs and signals. Wait for the green signal or walk signal before crossing.
- Children should be discouraged from playing on driveways and sidewalks near the roadway.