Kingston Lock-tender's House
4498 Route 27, Kingston
(D&R Canal at Old Route 27)
The Kingston Lock-tender’s House was built c1834. Construction of the D&R Canal began at Kingston in 1830. Adjacent to the Locktender’s House is the tollhouse/ telegraph station and the Lock itself. Nearby are the Kingston basin, a double arch culvert, and a spillway. Also nearby is the 1798 quadruple arch stone bridge (on the site of the earlier bridge that Washington dismantled to slow the British after the Battle of Princeton in January 1777.) The two original first floor rooms are open to the public on weekends and major holidays from April through November. The rooms contain displays relating to Kingston’s history. The displays are changed several times a year; although copies of 1937 Historic American Building Survey (HABS) drawings of the Kingston Lock (#8), the c1912 King Post Bridge, the Locktender’s House and the tollhouse/ telegraph station are always on display.
Kingston Historical Society
P.O.Box 323, Kingston, NJ 08528
Usually, the house is not staffed, but for the Franklin Township Historic Homecoming a member will be on hand to answer questions and models of the lock and the original “A’ Frame bridge will be on display and demonstrated.