Rockingham State Historic Site
84 Laurel Ave., Kingston
While the Continental Congress was meeting in Princeton, Rockingham, home of the Berrien Family and considered to be the second-oldest house in the Millstone Valley, served as General George Washington's final Revolutionary War headquarters for over two-and-one-half months in 1783. As one of his last official acts, Washington wrote his Farewell Orders to the Armies of the United States at Rockingham in late October, which were then delivered to the remaining Continental Army at West Point, New York. On October 31, 1783, Washington and Congress received the long awaited news that the final version of the Treaty of Paris had been signed and the thirteen colonies were indeed independent of Great Britain. The NJ State-owned and -operated house is preserved and interpreted as the temporary residence of George and Martha Washington. Physically relocated three times since 1896, Rockingham State Historic Site maintains a fine collection of 18th-century furnishings and Washington military reproductions, a children's museum and a Colonial kitchen garden. The Rockingham Association was incorporated in 1964 as the NJ State-recognized, non-profit auxiliary organization to Rockingham State Historic Site. Members come from throughout the state of New Jersey as well as from out of state. Monetary donations and membership dues help underwrite the various programs and events sponsored by the Association
The Rockingham Association
PO Box 496, 84 Laurel Ave., Kingston, NJ 08528
Tours of the historic house @ 10 & 11 am, 1, 2 & 3 pm (tour size limited to 10 people per tour on a first-come basis). --Historic Dutch Barn open, possibly with showings of the Telly Award-winning "The Road to Peace" DVD. --Museum Store open.
Rockingham's Life-Size George Washington Mannequin